Thursday, July 30, 2009

Eewww


Arrrggghhh, some people are plain disgusting!! I ducked into the local supermarket today to fill my depleted fruit and veg basket. I place most produce into the bags provided. I only needed one parsnip so did not use a bag. I go through checkout and the woman behind the register is coughing and spluttering. She coughs into her hand then picks up my parsnip! Noooooooo! I kindly said i didn't want the parsnip now that it had been germed. She looked at me like i was a mad woman! 'You're going to peel the parsnip right? Who's to say someone else hadn't germed it beforehand?' She had a point there. No fruit or veg is safe from germs once it leaves the ground or tree it was growing in/on. But, the saying, 'what you don't know won't hurt you' is so true in this instance. Had i not seen what the woman did, i would have merrily taken the parsnip, prepared it as per normal for dinner and eaten it with gusto. The thought of germs lurking on it would never have crossed my mind!
So i left the parsnip behind. I didn't purchase another, it didn't feel safe lol. I don't know what happened to 'my' parsnip, wether it went into the scrap box or back on the shelf, i will never know.
When i returned home, i scrubbed all the fruit and veg i purchased, wether the skin was edible or not! Paraniod much?!?!

0 comments: