Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Another Collection

Australian pottery. To be more specific, Diana Ware Pottery, but only the pieces with white spots, the other styles don't appeal to me. I think it's more to do with the bold retro colours that take my fancy, not necessarily the spots, but the spots make it more unique in my eyes. Blue, yellow, green and pink with grey and a rusty/burnt orange thrown in the mix.

This Aussie pottery was created in Marrickville, Sydney during the 1940's - 1970's. Not all pieces are stamped and there are a few different markings but once you've collected a few pieces you soon learn how to identify a piece of Diana Ware.

My love affair with it began 4 years ago when i spied a vibrant blue jug with white spots in a secondhand store. Since then I've gone spotty mad and got myself a nice variety of pieces. There are soooo many more bits I'd love to have but the spotty pieces are hard to come by which in turn makes them expensive.

I had a dream 6 months back about a blue squat cookie jar tucked away in a dark dusty corner of a quaint antique shop, I'm yet to locate the jar or the shop (I'm not sure either one actually exists!) I have several people on the lookout for it though ;)

The photo shows a small part of my collection :) Some of it is still in boxes.

Until next time
~x~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bristol-Blue-Mayfair-Glass-Cookie-Jar-Canister-/370510453406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564424da9e#ht_4615wt_989


Like this?

-HS

Anonymous said...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/vintage-retro-diana-dana-pottery-nefertiti-cookie-jar-large-canister-/180769432563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a16b2a3f3#ht_979wt_1156

- HS

twisted soul said...

The 1st one is gorgeous. The 2nd one is a very common Aust Pottery. Not my cup of tea simply because it's not bright and dotty ;)